Despite a major rebuilding programme in recent years, Lord’s remains a cricket ground as opposed to the largely impersonal stadiums many other leading venues which have become. Playing in a Test at Lord’s, still widely regarded as the home of cricket, remains to many cricketers the pinnacle of a career.
The third of Thomas Lord’s grounds was opened in 1814 and soon became the major venue as cricket became the world’s leading sport in the 19th century. While cricket has been overtaken by other international events, and the game itself has become overtly commercial, Lord’s has retained its place as the spiritual home.
The ground is privately owned by the Marylebone Cricket Club (membership 18,000), is the home to the ECB and, from 1909 to 2005, the ICC.
The dominant building is the terracotta-coloured pavilion, built in 1890 and still one of world sport’s most recognisable structures. Going round the ground in a clockwise direction, next to the pavilion is the Warner Stand, opened in 1958 and named after the eminent player and administrator Sir Pelham “Plum” Warner